Released 9 April 2013
- Sub-topics (still) not always sorting properly in tree display.
- Non-task reminders set to display N days before are continuing to display past their due date.
- If a category's default entry template is no longer valid, clear the setting.
- Drop-down list of styles is always showing the user default style, even if the category has overridden the user default style.
- During an import or sync, when displaying entry text to resolve a conflict, display the number of words in each entry.
- The running word count is sometimes getting out of sync when an empty paragraph is deleted.
- Search Results should include the first line of the entry if that category option is set.
- New option "Display user interface with Large Fonts"
- New feature: When inserting JPEG images with orientation information in the ExIf, the image is rotated (losslessly) to match the specified orientation.
- New image commands: Rotate Image Right, Rotate Image Left, Rotate Image 180 degrees, Flip Image Horizontally, Flip Image Vertically
Released 12 February 2013
- Format Painter isn't working.
- There is an issue marking tasks due on a future date as "Done".
- A recurring reminder that is set to display "N Day(s) Before" is always displaying.
- When closing from user unlock form, allow the backup prompt.
- Editing a link on a bulleted/numbered list is setting the bullet/number to the same font color as the link.
- Need to detect the possibility that a Journal Volume is already open in another running instance of The Journal (useful for when the Journal Volume is on a cloud drive and might be accessed from multiple computers simultaneously).
- In a multi-user environment, try for 3 seconds before reporting that the database is busy.
- Sometimes getting an error if minimizing when timer is active.
- If the entry tree is focused and the active entry has text selected, pressing DEL should delete the selected text.
- When comparing entries during import, if both entries have a table with the same number of columns, but the number of rows is different, getting an error.
- The entry tree context menu should remove non useful items when multiple entries are selected.
- New global option: "When The Journal is inactive, mouse-click only activates"
- New option for Batch Entry Import when importing entries from separate files: "Use file modified date+time as entry date+time" (useful for importing from MacJournal)
- New menu/UI translation: Spanish (View menu, Language sub-menu)
- New Tools menu commands: "Count Words in Entry + Sub-Entries..." and "Count Words in Selected Entries..."
Released 11 December 2012
- A recurring reminder set to "always display" isn't always displaying.
- When minimizing on idle, close open modal forms.
- Spell checker configuration on a USB drive isn't using a relative path.
- "Sync from Export File..." menu command is disabled when there is only one Journal Volume.
- Text snippet displayed in Search Results should be longer.
- When upgrading from The Journal 5, spell checker configuration sometimes not updating fully.
- When accessing a Journal Volume on an external drive on different computers, if the drive letter is different, then getting "There is no disk in drive" error.
- Search Entries isn't finding text with $, # or similar characters.
- Journal Volumes aren't remembering the date of their last backup.
- When opening The Journal after a Windows sleep/hibernation, sometimes getting an error.
- Added new skinning option "Disable shadows under forms when skins are active".
- Sometimes "hangs" when more than one Journal Volume is open at one time.
- Sometimes main form title bar gets stuck off the top of the screen.
- When using Insert Date or Insert Time in a numbered list, the number of the current list item is reset to 1.
- Sub-topics not always sorting properly in tree display.
- Batch Entry Import support for Diaro app (text entries only).
- New option for Batch Entry Import when importing entries from separate files: "Use file creation date+time as entry date+time" (useful for importing from LifeJournal)
- New option on Search Entries "Options" tab: Force re-indexing of all entries in categories searched
Released 7 November 2012
- Using "Insert Link" shortcut (Ctrl+K) on an existing link should edit the link, not try to create a new link.
- Sometimes, inserting/editing a link, the link shows the proper formatting, but the link doesn't work.
- User default style sometimes has extraneous (incorrect) font override flags.
- "Apply Default Style" (with and without retain formatting) should affect links.
- Links are not being detected when typing them into reminder notes.
- Checkboxes in entries aren't printing.
- When editing the name of an entry, cannot use DEL key to delete a character without selecting it first.
- After highlighting a typed link, resume the font formatting that was active before the link instead of reverting to the category default.
- You should be able to select a table, or a subset of a table's cells, and apply a topic.
- Some changes to prevent "List index out of bounds (-1)." errors.
- Reminder setting "Show Reminder xxx days before" is not working.
- When renaming entries, the new name is not being properly indexed for searching.
- Clicking "Close" on the user unlock form should force the close (ignoring the "Minimize on Close" option).
- Applying a topic to a table, or to cells in a table, sometimes not working properly.
- Viewing topics in a table when doing a search by topic sometimes getting an error.
- After startup, the idle timer minimized The Journal with the backup prompt active.
- Search Entries should default to prefix searching, unless "match whole words" option is checked.
- When changing a category with Category Properties, the active category's entry editor scrollbar loses its skinning.
- New option for calendar categories: "Round time to 5 minutes"
Released 26 September 2012
- After restoring from minimized, title bar displays only "The Journal 6".
- Sometimes getting an error during the backup, though it doesn't affect the backup.
- "Search Entries" is not searching linked/shared categories.
- "Daily/Weekly Entry Report" is showing only the entry headers (with links) in the report, instead of the full entry body.
- When creating or editing reminders, the time pickers aren't displaying 24-hour time properly.
- When auto-pasting from Clipboard Viewer, each paste should happen on a new line.
- In the month and year calendar views, don't display the day planner or the reminder list above the calendar.
- In the month calendar, the reminders and entries for all visible dates should be displayed.
- When searching entries with a date range, sub-entries of entries outside the date range are being searched.
- When importing calendar entries with sub-entries, the sub-entries aren't being imported.
- Default auto-save interval should be 10 minutes.
- External object entries and image entries not exporting properly to TJEXP format.
- TJXML format needs to save date+time values with milliseconds.
- New global option in User Preferences: "International character hot-keys override topic hot-keys".
- New international hot-keys for: ß, æ, œ
- Swapped hot-keys for Insert Link (now Ctrl+K) and Block Justify (now Ctrl+Shift+K).
Released 6 August 2012
- The Journal is not remembering its maximized window state.
- If The Journal's system database is closed when resuming from a sleep/suspend, close The Journal.
- Dragging and dropping an image file into a table cell is sometimes causing an error.
- When printing, images in a table cell aren't using the table cell dimensions to limit their resize, they're using the whole page width.
- When editing styles, applying the overrides to the sample text is causing confusion.
- Possible issues pasting RTF from clipboard.
- Double-clicking to toggle a large image resize-to-fit isn't marking the entry as modified.
- When printing, images that have been resized by the user aren't using their adjusted size.
- Importing html/xml not handling ' correctly.
- Links in pasted text are not properly merging active font and link style.
- When pasting HTML from Paste Special..., not using category/user default font.
- Re-worded User Preferences, Editor option to "When pasting, Rich Text Format has priority over HTML Format"
- User Preferences, Editor option "Insert URL when pasting from Web pages" feature isn't working.
- Getting gibberish when trying to paste into the timer.
- In "Export Entries as Document", when exporting each entry to its own document, if there is more than one entry for a date/time, only the last entry for that date/time is being exported.
- Reminders aren't being searched by Search Entries.
- Image entry and external object entry titles aren't being indexed for Search Entries.
- Missing hot-keys for Insert Media File (M), Insert CheckBox (X), and Insert Symbol (Y).
- Attempting to uninstall an add-on with Tools | Add-ons... causes an error.
- Importing TIFF, TGA and a few other image formats is not working.
- When importing from Evernote, spaces are getting lost between formatted text.
- Additional fixes to importing HTML and XML.
- "Lock All Password-Protected Categories" not properly locking sub-categories.
- When upgrading a TJ5 Journal Volume, sometimes incorrectly detecting that TJ5 is running.
- When importing from Evernote, you can now choose to import into any category (calendar as well as loose-leaf).
- When importing from Evernote or Penzu, the category you choose to import into is remembered and used as the default on the next import.
- Import to-do items from Evernote as checkboxes.
Released 18 July 2012
- If the Journal Volume database exceeds 1GB, the backup fails.
- Progress forms are sometimes getting lost behind modal forms, and the main form.
- With skinning turned off, the next/prev entry buttons sometimes have the wrong images.
- When the help file is open, clicking on the help icon on the taskbar doesn't bring up the help. Instead, it brings The Journal's main form forward, in front of the help.
- Hiding The Journal with the hot-key while playing back audio or video causes errors.
- Clicking on an image with a link sometimes behaving oddly.
- Sometimes getting an error when reviewing image conflicts during sync.
- "Sync from External Journal Volume" not working with TJ6 Journal Volumes.
- If the indexed text search of a category generates an error, force a re-indexing of all entries in the category.
- Possible error when posting to Google Blogger.
- Deleting entries could cause an error in Search Entries for that category.
- Added "The Journal on Facebook" link to the Help menu.
- Added "Journal Volume Integrity Check..." report to Maintenance sub-menu.
The Journal 6Released 9 July 2012
June 2012: My mission statement for The Journal 6 was: "The Journal, Even Better!" I wanted to make The Journal easier to use, while also adding some powerful new features like synchronizing and indexed text searching. Work on The Journal 6 began in June 2011 while my wife and I were waiting for our 3rd child to arrive. He was late, but was eventually induced to make his appearance. Which appearance then seriously slowed The Journal 6 development for a while. :-)
The Journal 6 new features:
- Lightning-fast searches! Even if you have thousands of entries in hundreds of categories, searching them is fast and easy.
- Synchronize multiple copies of The Journal! Have The Journal on your laptop at work and your desktop at home? Keeping them in sync is easier than ever. You can sync from another Journal Volume, a backup file, or any of The Journal's export files.
- Synchronize The Journal with your mobile- and tablet-based software! Import your entries and notes from such products as EverNote, Penzu, and more. The Journal also supports exporting to the Xml-based ATOM publishing format which can be imported by other products.
- Easily use The Journal with automatic backup/sync-ing software! The Journal's new, single-file database configuration is faster and uses less space on your hard drive or USB/Flash drive, and makes it much easier to use The Journal with products like DropBox.
- Improved printing, exporting, and importing!
- New Entry Report Wizard (on the Tools menu), with new and improved reports!
- Improved topic support and reporting!
- Improved international character support, including Insert Symbol (on the Insert menu)!
- More options for categories, including specifying the day the week starts and sorting options for loose-leaf entries.
- New entry editor options like hot-linking images, a running word count on the status bar, format painter, and improved text highlighting.
The Journal 5.1
December 2009: The Journal 5.1 is a feature update and bug-fix of The Journal 5. Work on The Journal 5.1 began in late October 2009. My goal for The Journal 5.1 was to add some of the features that had been planned for the initial release of The Journal 5 but, due to time constraints, had been put off to the future.
The Journal 5.1 fixes some bugs (see the list below), updates a few third-party components, and adds some significant new features:
- Improvements to skinning and more new skins! Many of the skins have been updated, including The Journal's default skin (BlueBrilliant). The new skins are: BlueBrilliant_Ext, Charm_Ext, Charm2, Office2010 (multiple skins), and SnowLeopard.
- New toolbar icons for a number of commands, plus the option to use The Journal 4's icons for toolbars, menus and the entry tree.
- Localization support - As new language translations of The Journal become available, they will be added.
- Improvements for using The Journal over a network with multiple simultaneous users.
- View your Outlook calendar reminders in The Journal!
- Support for "Quick Blogcast" blog tool and new blog posting options.
- And, finally, you can wrap text around images in your entries!
v184.108.40.2067 - Released 11 April 2012
v220.127.116.119 - Released 14 February 2012
v18.104.22.1681 - Released 14 November 2011
v22.214.171.1249 - Released 8 August 2011
v126.96.36.1991 - Released 6 June 2011
v188.8.131.523 - Released 24 January 2011
v184.108.40.2061 - Released 27 December 2010
v220.127.116.115 - Released 4 October 2010
v18.104.22.1687 - Released 10 May 2010
v22.214.171.1247 - Released 3 March 2010
v126.96.36.1999 - Released 27 January 2010
v188.8.131.527 - Released 25 January 2010
v5.1 (v184.108.40.2063) - Released 15 December 2009
The Journal 5
July 2009: My plan for The Journal 5, which began development in September 2007, can be summed up as "The Journal Even Better". I wanted to improve all the major parts of The Journal--the database, the internal data structures, the user interface--and provide more support for international users. Plus I wanted to offer additional category and entry options, more reports and other tools, and, finally, to offer a selection of "skins" for the user interface.
I think I achieved most of that--even if it took a bit longer than I expected.
In short, The Journal 5 is an inside-out redesign of The Journal, preserving all the great journaling and writing features that have accumulated over the years and adding some cool new features and capabilities.v220.127.116.117 - Released 5 October 2009
v18.104.22.1689 - Released 21 September 2009
v22.214.171.1245 - Released 9 September 2009
v126.96.36.1997 - Released 31 August 2009
v5.0 (v188.8.131.521) - Released 26 August 2009
The Journal 4.1
(March 2006 - August 2009)
March 2006: Though not a major upgrade like the one from v3 to v4, The Journal 4.1 is still a significant step forward. Reminders & Tasks have now been added to The Journal, supplying whole new ways you can use The Journal to organize your life and life's work. Set reminders for daily tasks, monthly appointments, special days and anniversaries, and more! And with the new entry locking features for shared categories, The Journal edges closer to becoming a true multi-user, maybe even a collaborative, platform. I look forward to building on all of the 4.1 additions and changes as The Journal continues to grow.
August 2007: The last major new feature added to The Journal 4.1 was the option to have multiple entries on a given date. Such an obvious feature (in retrospect), and yet added so late. I'm always surprised by how The Journal continues to evolve.
v184.108.40.206 - Released 5 February 2008
v220.127.116.11 - Released 10 December 2007
v18.104.22.168 - Released 15 October 2007
v22.214.171.124 - Released 9 October 2007
v126.96.36.199 - Released 4 September 2007
v188.8.131.52 - Released 13 June 2007
v184.108.40.206 - Released 11 June 2007
v220.127.116.11 - Released 8 May 2007
v18.104.22.168 - Released 23 April 2007
v22.214.171.124 - Released 19 February 2007
v126.96.36.199 - Released 4 December 2006
v188.8.131.52 - Released 2 October 2006
v184.108.40.206 - Released 12 June 2006
v220.127.116.11 - Released 26 April 2006
v18.104.22.168 - Released 17 April 2006
The Journal 4
(November 2004 - March 2006)
August 2004: Though the story of The Journal 4 lacks the drama of The Journal 3's grueling development period, it's an important upgrade nonetheless. Built on the foundation created in v3, v4 takes The Journal to new levels of power and ease of use.
Work on The Journal 4 began in December 2003, with early efforts centered on switching from using the Windows Rich Text Common Control to the very powerful TRichView components created by Sergey Tkachenko. This was a huge change, both in source code and in philosophy, because The Journal was originally built around the rich text edit, and probably would not have existed except for that feature of Windows 95. After years spent tweaking and cajoling (and cursing) the rich text edit to get it to do things that Microsoft probably never meant for it to do, I suffered a few withdrawals. However, this one change, by itself, made possible a large portion of The Journal 4's new features, including background images for entries, print preview, tables, and on and on. So I'm past the withdrawals now, and not looking back.
With the new entry editor in place, I shifted to adding numerous other features that users have asked for over the years, such as n-depth category nesting, user-created Calendar Charms, and daily/weekly reporting. Beyond user requests, there were other extensions that I wanted to make, such as the ability to install and run The Journal on read-only CDROM's, that would make The Journal more stable overall and useful in new arenas.
By late August 2004, I had implemented the last of the planned additions and on 1 September I handed The Journal 4 over to a small group of testers. There's nothing like user testing to help smooth out the new interface and add the necessary polish to the new features--and point out the obvious features and extensions you somehow forgot.
The Journal 4 added:
- A more modern look-and-feel, that tracked Windows XP themes
- Improved editing capabilities, including:
- Background images for entries
- Improved image handling (faster saving and loading, resizing, and more)
- More powerful and more flexible text styles
- Paragraph borders and background colors
- Improved bullets and numbering
- Outline mode
- HTML importing and improved HTML exporting
- Improved auto-replace, supporting both formatted and unformatted text
- Assigning topics to blocks of text within an entry
- Background images for entries
- Improved printing, including print preview
- Improved searching, with:
- Google-like results presentation, with excerpts of found text and links to the found entries
- Search text highlighting in found entries
- Date range limiting for standard categories
- Searching by topic, or by image description
- Google-like results presentation, with excerpts of found text and links to the found entries
- Daily/weekly/etc "reporting" for standard categories, with printing
- Support for user-created Calendar Charms and entry background images
- Improved blog support, with posting of images (if the blog supports posting images)
- Web page "archiving" within entries
- Improved arranging of loose-leaf entries and categories
- Improved category "nesting", so you can have sub-categories of sub-categories of sub-categories of...
- New category options likes "Read Only" and "Folder Only"
- The ability to install and run The Journal on self-contained, removable media, like a USB flash drive or CDROM
- Improved database speed and security
v22.214.171.124 - Released 6 December 2005
v126.96.36.199 - Released 24 October 2005
v188.8.131.52 - Released 26 September 2005
v184.108.40.206 - Released 29 August 2005
v220.127.116.11 - Released 20 July 2005
v18.104.22.168 - Released 13 July 2005
v22.214.171.124 - Released 11 April 2005
v126.96.36.199 - Released 2 February 2005
v188.8.131.52 - Released 24 January 2005
v184.108.40.206 - Released 29 December 2004
v220.127.116.11 - Released 8 December 2004
v18.104.22.168 - Released 2 December 2004
v4.0 - Released 29 November 2004
The Journal 3
(November 2001 - November 2004)
(From November 2001): The Journal 3 is a complete re-design and re-write of The Journal, incorporating years of accumulated feedback and suggestions. Since The Journal was first released in 1996, users have sent in their suggestions for features and extensions. As much as possible, these suggestions were incorporated. But some suggestions were beyond what the original design of The Journal could tolerate. There was only so far that The Journal's feature set could be stretched without starting over from scratch.
Begun in the summer of 1999, development on The Journal 3 proceeded slower than expected. These initial delays were caused by several factors. I was (and still am) co-owner of another software company (Samu Games, http://www.samugames.com) and other projects came up that stalled the development of The Journal 3. Plus there was the ever-present need to support the current version of The Journal. By the end of 1999, only The Journal 3's new database configuration was completed.
In 2000, two major projects with Samu Games prevented significant work on The Journal 3. The Journal 2.3 was released in early 2000, and The Journal 2.4 was begun in the fall of the year. Though the 2.3 release was a relatively straightforward update of The Journal 2.2. The 2.4 release, however, incorporated some of the features that had been designed for The Journal 3. New word processing features (like numbered lists and multi-level undo), improved image handling, and especially the new export/import format were all from work done for The Journal 3.
Most of the work on The Journal 3 that occurred during 2000 was on the new user interface. There was a lot of experimentation with new layouts, new configurations, and new ways of representing the categories and entries in the database. Some of it worked, and was kept. A lot of it, though, proved "iffy at best" and was discarded (or turned into a "user preference", default off).
In March 2001, following the release of The Journal 2.4, I realized that I had spent too much time on "research and development". If I expected to release The Journal 3 in this lifetime, I was going to have to stop thinking up new features to add and experiment with. So the feature set of The Journal 3 was "frozen", and I began working on getting The Journal 3 done.
Interestingly enough, while The Journal 3 already sported quite a few features that The Journal 2.x would never be able to duplicate, The Journal 2.x had many more features that had not yet been implemented in The Journal 3. So to get The Journal 3 "done" I had to get all of the existing 2.x features working in the new version. Everything from simple options like "minimize to system tray" to more complex features like entry templates had yet to be added to The Journal 3.
This turned out to be the single largest effort in the development of The Journal 3. The Journal had accumulated quite a few features in its 5+ years, and re-doing them for The Journal 3 proved to take more time than I estimated. In August 2001, 6 months later, the last of the 2.x feature set was finally added to The Journal 3.
In September 2001, The Journal 3 was handed over to a small number of volunteers to see how it would stand up. With their help, most of the bugs and issues were found and either fixed or resolved. The last bit of testing and polishing occurred when The Journal 3 "pre-release" was made available in mid-November.
The Journal has already grown beyond my original vision for the project. I'm excited to see what new directions the product will head in the future.
2004 Afternote: The Journal grew significantly after the initial release of v3. Here's a list of the major improvements and features added to The Journal from November 2001 to October 2004:
- Improved printing
- Improved "Search Entries..."
- Improved entry navigation
- Improved entry templates
- Improved initial defaults for new users
- Improved entry export and import
- Improved user interface, including lots of new hot-keys
- Improved entry links and internet links
- Improved database maintenance
- Improved documentation
- Calendar Charms
- Add-on package support
- MemoryGrabber add-on package
- Writing Prompts 1 add-on package
- Blog support
v22.214.171.124 -Released 22 September 2004
v126.96.36.199 -Released 13 July 2004
v188.8.131.52 -Released 13 April 2004
v184.108.40.206 -Released 6 April 2004
v220.127.116.11 -Released 10 February 2004
v18.104.22.168 -Released 29 December 2003
v22.214.171.124 -Released 15 December 2003
v126.96.36.199 -Released 6 October 2003
v188.8.131.52 -Released 15 July 2003
v184.108.40.206 -Released 9 July 2003
v220.127.116.11 -Released 10 April 2003
v18.104.22.168 -Released 24 February 2003
v22.214.171.124 -Released 9 December 2002
v126.96.36.199 -Released 26 August 2002
v188.8.131.52 -Released 2 April 2002
v184.108.40.206 -Released 18 February 2002
v220.127.116.11 -Released 12 February 2002
v18.104.22.168 -Released 6 February 2002
v22.214.171.124 -Released 4 February 2002
v126.96.36.199 -Released 7 January 2002
v188.8.131.52 -Released 17 December 2001
v184.108.40.206 -Released 3 December 2001
v3.0 -Released 28 November 2001
The Journal 2
(September 1998 - October 2001)
The Journal 2.0, released in late September, 1998, built on the feature set that had been finalized in the 1.51 release. More word-processing and security features were added, and database maintenance and stability was greatly enhanced. Throughout the 2.x series of releases, The Journal continued to mature, though not at the same pace as before. Refinement and extension replaced a headlong rush to add new features. The 2.4 release of The Journal, coming nearly a year after the previous release, was the most significant of the 2.x updates after 2.0.
v2.43 - Released September 28 2001.
v2.42 - Released August 20 2001.
v2.41 - Released April 16 2001.
v2.40 - Released February 9 2001.
v2.30 - Released April 7 2000.
v2.20 - Released December 6 1999.
v2.11 - Released June 21 1999.
v2.10 - Released April 5 1999.
v2.02 - Released February 1 1999.
v2.01 - Released November 11 1998.
v2.00 - Released September 30 1998.
The Journal 1
(October 1996 - August 1998)
v1.30 was the first shareware release of The Journal, made available in October, 1996. This was a period of expanding features for The Journal. Hardly a month went by without a new release coming out with more features--and bug-fixes for previously added features. This "growth spurt" period went on for nearly a year before finally slowing down.
With the release of The Journal 1.5 in January, 1998, The Journal became a mature software product.
v1.51 - Released February 20 1998.
v1.50 - Released January 30 1998.
v1.44 - Released December 12 1997.
v1.43 - Released September 26 1997
v1.42 - Released July 19 1997
v1.41 - Released July 1 1997
v1.40 - Released June 28 1997
v1.39 - Released June 7 1997
v1.38 - Released March 23 1997
v1.37 - Released February 9 1997
v1.36 - Released January 12 1997
v1.35 - Released December 29 1996
v1.34 - Released December 13 1996
v1.33 - Released November 25 1996
v1.32 - Released November 15 1996
v1.31 - Released October 14 1996
v1.30 - First Shareware Release October 11 1996
The Journal 1 - The Freeware Days
The Journal started out as a quick project, mostly as a way to learn how to use Delphi. Fittingly, most of the original users of The Journal were other Delphi programmers who downloaded it from the various "Made in Delphi" web pages. Feedback from these and other users prompted me to extend The Journal significantly, and release it as shareware.
v1.21 - Released August 12 1996
v1.20 - Released August 9 1996
v1.1 - Released July 8 1996
v1.0 - Initial Release. June 18 1996